Thanks, Mom.

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Remember that one time I randomly decided to do the Inca Trail with no previous history of hiking and a general dislike for all things outdoorsy? Well, it happened. And it was kind of accidental. Kind of. You know how some people have these crazy cool obtainable goals and actually achieve them within a reasonable time span? Mine consist of winning the lottery when I never play it, becoming absolutely famous with no real life skills, and seeing The 7 Wonders of the World all before I'm 30 and I'm "out of my prime" (according to my cousin...). Mind you, I usually have oh, $2.43 in my bank account on any given day but I am going to find a way to see it all before I need botox so I cooked up a plan. And all this plan was made possible with just one woman. My mom.
Sun Gate Machu Picchu
View of Machu Picchu from the Sun Gate 
Rewind to January 2017. I brilliantly told Pam that since I was an adult now, we should forget about gifts on the holidays this year and that I would now address her by her first name. She told me if I called her Pam one more time she would kick me out and that after all the hard work I do on a daily basis I earned myself a trip to the Jolly Truck Stop. Back to the drawing boards! No but really, in all reality I completely realize what a spoiled rotten brat I am but it was confirmed when Pam MOM told me she booked our tickets to Peru and we were going to see Machu Picchu.

Cloud Forest on the Inca Trail Peru
Taking a break in The Cloud Forest on The Inca Trail
I will be writing multiple post about our two week stay but to kick off this cool blog line up I couldn't start it without telling my mother thank you. Together we managed to learn a lot about life in the most unusual trip I've ever taken, and I am so thankful we did it.

Inca Trail to Machu Picchu PeruInca Trail to Machu Picchu Peru

Thank you for always helping me chase my dreams. 

I am one of the most spontaneous people, and it doesn't matter what crazy idea I come up with, I know I can always turn to you as a really harsh and completely honest soundboard. So when it came to this silly bucket list that I've cooked up over the years you are the reason I got to check this off of a really long list of stupid ideas. And I can't wait to chase more wild horses with you right by my side.

FUN FACT: My mother always told me that she would support me no matter what, even if I wanted to do "underwater basket weaving". **Jokes on her because she has no choice to support me seeing that I am a professional stay-at-home daughter.**

Thank you for making me fearless.

I don't turn away from much and I welcome a challenge, and that is all because of the badass woman that raised me. You aren't a quitter and I've never seen you step away from any problems and because
of that I am thankful. The Inca Trail was the most challenging thing that I have ever done and I didn't shy away from it once because I knew I could do it because of the woman you raised me to be. Watching you overcome the obstacles (aka The Gringo Killers) was inspiring and I want you to know that I think if I turned out to be half the badass you are I'll be one lucky gal. I've never been more proud to call you my mom when we shared one long stinky hug at the top of that mountain as we looked down on the ancient ruins, and I couldn't have done it without you. (No really I wouldn't have been able to afford it without you...)

FUN FACT: My mom is terrified of flying and traveled for 24 hours to get to Peru.

Thank you for doing this incredible journey with me

I turned 26 on a rainy day in a Peruvian coffee shop with the early signs of a cold and I couldn't believe how blessed I was in that moment. Little did we know how challenging the next four days would be out in the wilderness, but I am so happy that we got to share all the laughter, tears, and WTF's together. As you raised me you got to be the person that taught me all about life and shared my milestones with me. As I grow older I truly enjoy and cherish that fact that I now get to choose who I share big memories with and it still gets to be you.

Thank you for being my best friend.


Machu Picchu Ancient Ruins Mountain Hike Peru South America




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images